Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Asparagus!

For six weeks from the beginning of May to the middle of June, I see this sight on my drive home from work:


And for six weeks I stop by several times a week and buy some asparagus picked that very morning.



Yep, that means we eat asparagus nearly every day, one way or another. I have to be honest. By the end of the season, it's pretty much okay that we can't have fresh, local asparagus again for ten and a half months!



I usually buy the *skinnies*--so juicy and tender. Mmm. But what to do with them day after day? Well, here's one idea, a fajita stir-fry:



Basically I use the asparagus in place of peppers in the recipe, using Old El Paso fajita mix. If you're looking for a more *from scratch* recipe, try this one by our daughter.

I also use asparagus in any recipe that calls for green beans. This recipe for Garlicky Green Beans is our favorite August recipe, but it's also very common with asparagus in May and June. Mmmm. Try it!

There's nothing in the world like vegetables picked this very morning. The asparagus fields are less than two miles from my front door. It doesn't get much better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Yum Yum Yum.

    My favourite is steamed asparagus with a generous splash of balsalmic, drizzle of olive oil, minced garlic clove, pinch of seasalt and paprika.

    ReplyDelete