Sunday, March 15, 2009

Kitchen Aid Whole-Wheat Bread

Today's the first time I've made bread in the new Kitchen Aid.



The directions say that the largest batch this 375-watt machine can handle is a two-loaf size (about 8 cups flour max). We don't go through a lot of bread these days as we both have microwaves at work and usually take leftovers for our lunches, so I thought I'd try a two-loaf batch rather than a hand-kneaded four-loaf batch like I've done for years. (Used to do a six-loaf batch when everyone was taking sandwiches back a few years!) I might even go to single loaf batches sometimes if I can bake them well in the toaster oven. But that is not today's mission.

Here's what I did (as much for my own sake to check back on as for yours!)

5 cups whole-wheat flour (currently using Trojan by Ellisons brand)
1/2 tablespoon active-rise yeast (Fermipan)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt

Run KA with dough hook at Level 2 for 15 seconds to mix dry ingredients, then slowly add:
3 cups warm water
glug vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil



Keep machine on Level 2. When the liquids are mixed into the dry ingredients thoroughly, add more flour, 1/2 cup at a time. I probably added 2 more cups, maybe 2.5 before the sides of the bowl stayed clear and the mass of dough kept revolving evenly.



Then I kept it going for another 2-3 minutes until smooth and elastic, before putting it in a greased covered bowl and into the oven with only the oven light on. That's the easiest consistently temperatured place for me to rise bread; I've been doing that for years.

It rose really well, and I shaped it into two loaves. It rose again while the oven heated.

Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. Voila!

5 comments:

  1. I love my KA for making bread. Really, I love my KA for making anything that needs more than a cursory mixing these days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does yours have a pasta extruder, and if so, have you used it successfully? If so, we must talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any other 'fancy' attachments. We found it on sale during our round budget days (all corners cut) and didn't have the money for extras. Since then I haven't gotten around to looking for any. Which ones do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've got the same one I do (mine is white and I can never remember the wattage - tilt-top, though). This recipe sounds and looks great - I'll have to try it! I've been making dough in my various bread machines, but haven't yet used the KA. I use it for making cookies and banana bread a lot. And being me, I have lots of attachments (grinder and sausage-stuffer) which I've never used. Yard sales are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My MIL has a bigger, more powerful one, 500+ wattage that can handle four loaves of bread in one batch.

    I WANT the attachments you have, Jenn! We have a smoker now and want to get into sausage from the farm.

    We got our machine through Air Miles points and added on the *specialty attachment pack*, which includes shredder/slicer plates, food grinder, and the pasta extruders. The last seem gimmicky, but I really should try more than once (perhaps trying THEIR recipe instead of jumping straight to my own!) before giving it up!

    ReplyDelete