Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chamomile Tea

As I posted up the photo of the chamomile, it occurred to me to wonder what part of the plant is used for tea. A quick search proved that it's the blossoms! Well, we have lots of those.



So...I went out and snipped them off and will allow them to dry. I think in this weather they don't need to be in the dehydrator! This is pretty much all of the flowers here, so it's not a lot. Still, it's enough to try out and see if I want to grow more German Chamomile next year. It's a self-seeding annual but I don't think I left enough to self-seed!



The info says it has to be German chamomile, that the common roadside chamomile is virtually scent-free, and the Roman chamomile (which is a perennial) isn't the right kind for tea either.

Wikipedia provided this photo and the idea to mix the dry chamomile blossoms with cinnamon and dried apple bits. Might have to try that!

1 comment:

  1. You can use them fresh if you want to. Drying will preserve them for future use but you don't have to wait if you want the tea now. I'm sure you knew that already, but I've run across people who don't, and I know I'm not the only reader you have. ;)

    Hmm, dried apple and cinnamon, huh? I have some dried cinnamon apples in the pantry and chamomile flowers in the apothecary. Perhaps I should try that blend.

    ReplyDelete